Company: Space Exploration Technologies
Posted on: May 3, 2021
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity
is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one
where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the
technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of
enabling human life on Mars.
From release of a customer's requirements through award of a
contract, the SpaceX proposal editors manage the preparation and
submittal of SpaceX's bids for competitive business opportunities,
usually launch services worth millions or hundreds of millions of
dollars. In this role, you'll prepare proposals that describe the
features and benefits of SpaceX's constantly evolving technology
and launch services. You will manage authors from across SpaceX's
technical and business teams as they prepare text addressing
specific customer needs. You'll edit, rewrite, and write technical
and nontechnical text as necessary to prepare the most compelling
possible proposals. You'll also be responsible for the creation of
clear, visually persuasive graphics and for the timely printing and
delivery of a clean, error-free final product.
The position requires the energy, initiative, flexibility, and
dependability to produce documents that reflect SpaceX's commitment
to the rapid and reliable advancement of human spaceflight.
- Read, understand, and communicate the highly complex
requirements of new customer opportunities.
- Develop and manage proposal schedules.
- Draft proposal outlines.
- Manage section authors from across the company, setting and
enforcing deadlines and expectations.
- Work with technical staff to gather and draft technical
information for commercial and government proposals.
- Help develop creative arguments and talking points into
compelling executive summaries and proposal text tailored for each
- Work with technical and business staff to resolve open issues
and questions about proposal text, figures, and tables.
- Help identify and develop supporting graphics.
- Edit and rewrite as necessary for clarity, logic, and
- Fact-check information and flag technical errors.
- Edit for spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Ensure documents conform to company format and editorial
- Ensure proposals comply with customer instructions.
- Guide documents through review and approval processes.
- Prepare documents for print. Produce required copies and
- Help develop and improve deliverable templates.
- Improve and streamline the proposal development process.
- Help maintain repository of frequently used proposal
- Support mission management, sales, and other SpaceX
organizations with editing, writing, publication, and
- Bachelor's degree.
- 5+ years of experience publishing documents and/or editing the
work of others.
- 2+ years of experience in the professional-level preparation of
documents for publication in Microsoft Office or 5+ years of
experience with a non-Office word processing program and desktop
- 5+ years of experience editing at the organizational,
structural, sentence, fact-checking, and proofreading levels.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, English, technical writing, or
- Experience with proposal or grant writing.
- Ability, or potential, to help implement proposal
- Knowledge of government or commercial proposals.
- Experience writing captions or headlines.
- Experience following an editorial style guide.
- Ability to turn strings of buzz words or jargon into coherent
- Strong grasp of language, including nuance and tone.
- Proven ability to work under the pressure of long- and
- Demonstrated record of successfully planning and completing
both short- and long-term projects.
- Demonstrated leadership, influence, and collaboration
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Basic knowledge of SpaceX's mission, business model, and
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export
regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms
Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent
resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.
1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from
the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX
is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications
and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion,
gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability
status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status,
mental or physical disability or any other legally protected
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action
Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants
requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview
process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310)
Keywords: Space Exploration Technologies, Hawthorne , Proposal Editor, Other , Hawthorne, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!