Manufacturing Engineer, Tube Welding (Raptor Tube Shop)
Company: Space Exploration Technologies
Posted on: June 8, 2021
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity
is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one
where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the
technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of
enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER, TUBE WELDING (RAPTOR TUBE SHOP)
- Design, develop, and produce an advanced, high volume tube
welding cell to supply welded tube demands for Raptor and Starship
- Think creatively; question the status quo; challenge
engineering and manufacturing requirements to drive efficient
manufacturing of high-pressure fluid transport systems on schedule
through collaboration with a multidisciplinary team of engineers
(design, build, and reliability), internal production teams, and
- Innovate with minimal leadership or quality oversight while
implementing safe, quality, robust systems, and delivering projects
- Work with design engineering to develop design and
manufacturing standards that reduce shop burden.
- Resolve manufacturing issues, disposition nonconforming parts,
perform root cause analyses, and implement robust corrective
- Design tooling for new and existing products to support rate
production and reduce operation complexity.
- Facilitate day-to-day production of orbitally and manually
welded bent tubing,
- Challenge existing production and design requirements for
welded tubing assemblies and use data to identify and eliminate
- Streamline existing production systems to minimize cost while
improving quality and efficiency.
- Implement standard practices, troubleshooting guides, and
standard repair procedures, including review and approval of
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical, aerospace, or manufacturing
- 2+ years of mechanical design experience.
- 1+ years of hands-on experience in a manufacturing setting from
industry, hobby, or through participation in collegiate engineering
projects such as Formula SAE, Baja SAE, rocket club, CubeSat or
Design Build Fly.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience taking products through development cycle to full
- Solid understanding of tooling design, metal fabrication,
orbital tube welding (OTW), TIG welding, and assembly
- Hands on experience with TIG welding, orbital tube welding,
and/or supporting processes.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Experience with design for manufacturability and assembly.
- Experience with NX (UG or equivalent) CAD and geometric
dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) for component and tooling
- Process development, facility and line layouts.
- Experience in process development, capacity analyses, value
stream layout, PFMEA, and error proofing.
- Knowledge in automated test systems for pressure and leak
testing using instrumentation such as flow meters, pressure
transducers and thermocouples.
- Position may require standing, bending and working directly
with hardware on the floor for extended periods of time.
- Position may require extended hours and weekend work.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export
regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms
Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent
resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.
1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from
the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX
is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications
and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion,
gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability
status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status,
mental or physical disability or any other legally protected
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action
Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants
requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview
process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310)
Keywords: Space Exploration Technologies, Hawthorne , Manufacturing Engineer, Tube Welding (Raptor Tube Shop), Other , Hawthorne, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!