Operations Engineering Manager (Production and Launch Operations)
Company: Space Exploration Technologies
Posted on: June 8, 2021
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity
is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one
where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the
technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of
enabling human life on Mars.
OPERATIONS ENGINEERING MANAGER (PRODUCTION AND LAUNCH
Serve as operations engineering manager responsible for
coordinating operations, conducting strategic planning, aligning
resources to priorities, assessing progress towards targets, and
optimizing operations for the Falcon 9 family of rockets and Dragon
capsules. Lead a team of highly-skilled engineers and data analysts
who proactively identify and address operational challenges,
implement industrial engineering practices, derive actionable
information from data, and synchronize work priorities across
SpaceX production and launch operations. Scope includes managing
internal department priorities and resources, and synchronizing
efforts with testing, supply chain, and other SpaceX elements to
ensure falcon and dragon output matches launch manifest.
- Manage a team of operations engineers, industrial engineers,
and data analysts to focus them on the company's most critical
problems. Manage their development and career progression to become
- Align people, processes, products, parts, and physical plant to
meet ambitious targets for safety, quality, output, and
- Conduct operations engineering at a strategic level by
optimizing resources, schedules, and risk under uncertainty across
SpaceX production and launch.
- Analyze complex problems involving multiple stakeholders,
driving towards optimal solutions in an uncertain and ambiguous
- Manage the development of advanced tools to analyze delivery,
capacity, costs vs benefits, supply chain, and operations to guide
executive decisions in anticipation of change.
- Leverage operational data to identify trends, propose leading
indicators, and provide predictive information to steer executive
- Lead inter-disciplinary and cross-functional teams to develop
and manage production strategy, mitigate future risks, and seize
- Identify operational challenges within the organization, lead
problem formulation, determine root cause, and implement creative
and effective solutions.
- Develop key performance measures, and identify decision points
and actions to optimize production to meet demand, ensuring
measured parameters correlate with overall company objectives.
- Collaborate with cross-departmental partners in supply chain,
engineering, operations, and finance groups to synchronize
- Capture best practices of production systems and manage
organizational knowledge and lessons-learned.
- Manage production workforce development efforts to ensure
technicians and engineers are trained, qualified, and incentivized
to perform their assigned roles.
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline.
- 5+ years of professional experience in a manufacturing,
military, aerospace and/or automotive environment.
- Experience leading a team of engineers.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience or education in management science and engineering,
operations engineering, operations research, or industrial
- Experience with data-based decision making, modeling of complex
systems, and framing executive decisions supported by engineering
- Ability to work in fast-paced, high stress environments.
- Excellent written and executive communication skills.
- Proficiency with statistics, data analysis, cost/benefit
analysis, and visualization.
- Experience with data visualization tools, discrete event
modeling tools, data queries and analysis.
- Experience leading in a developmental manufacturing
environment, in aerospace production, or in a dynamic
- Ability to work autonomously, prioritize work, and make
resource allocation recommendations that involve risk and
- Must be able to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed,
including occasional short-notice domestic travel.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export
regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms
Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent
resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.
1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from
the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX
is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications
and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion,
gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability
status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status,
mental or physical disability or any other legally protected
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action
Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants
requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview
process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310)
Keywords: Space Exploration Technologies, Hawthorne , Operations Engineering Manager (Production and Launch Operations), Other , Hawthorne, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!